Excel SUM Function – The Most Popular Function!
The Excel SUM Function is probably the most used Excel Function. It is another function that is great to know, when you need to make calculations or lookup values that are buried in your data or simply compare values or format them. So learning which ones to use and how to use them is imperative if you want to bump up your skill level.
Excel SUM Function:
Syntax of the Excel SUM Function:
- number1 (Required) - This can be a single number, a cell, or a range of cells
- number2 (Optional) - This is the second number that you can add. You can specify up to 255 numbers
- The above arguments must be numerical values. If any text is used, then you may see either the #NAME? or the #VALUE! errors.
- =SUM(25, 30) = 55
- =SUM(45, 30, 93, 27) = 195
- =SUM(A1, B1, C1) = A1 + B1 + C1
- =SUM(A1:D1) = A1 + B1 + C1 + D1
- =SUM(A1:B2) = A1 + A2 + B1 + B2
- =SUM(A1:D1, Z3:Z5) = A1 + B1 + C1 + D1 + Z3 + Z4 + Z5
Download The Example Spreadsheet Here:
Why use the Excel SUM Function?
You can simply calculate all of the required values by entering the formula:
= num1 + num2 + num3 + ...
This is absolutely fine for a small list of numbers, but when you have dozens, hundreds or even thousands of rows or columns of numbers, this quickly becomes inefficient and the Excel SUM Function will rescue you from that monotony.
This is most likely the most used function in Excel. It is indispensable for adding large quantities of numbers all at once or one here, one there, and so on. If you need to add a lot of values together in a single cell, then the Excel SUM Function is your best friend! It doesn't hurt that it is Super Popular either! Hehehe .... *sigh* - I'm such a Dork! ;-P
Share, Comment, Ask a Question or Rip Me a New One!
If you liked this article, please feel free to share it on social media, using the buttons on the left, and comment below if you have any suggestions, questions or corrections. Thank you for reading!
P.S. - Remember to sign up to the newsletter email list, so you can catch all of the new posts and learn about upcoming topics, products and/or services.